The sixth annual asb aspire and Headway East Sussex conference is due to take place on Thursday 13 June 2019 at the East Sussex National Hotel in Uckfield.
Aimed at all professionals and practitioners supporting people with brain injury through their treatment, rehabilitation, and ongoing care, the Changing Minds conference will address the complex subject of mental health after brain injury.
- Featuring Chris Bryant MP – A look at the ‘Time for Change: Acquired Brain Injury and Neurorehabilitation’ report and how the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Acquired Brain Injury is drawing attention to the need for government departments to work together on this issue.
- ‘Brain injury, alcohol & substance misuse’ Dr Alyson Norman – The story of ‘Tom’, a man with a traumatic brain injury and a history of mental health problems, alcohol and substance misuse, told from the unique perspective of a Psychologist and a family member.
- ‘Engaging the disengaged’ Dr Mark Holloway – In this session we will identify barriers to engagement for both the injured party and family members and suggest strategies and approaches that can support change.
- ‘Music, mindfulness and brain injury rehabilitation’ Professor Jonathan Evans – A review of a recent study into the use of mindful music listening to improve recovery of cognition and mood after stroke and how this could be applied to brain injury recovery.
- ‘TBI in the older population’ Dr Amanda Thompsell – A look at the prevalence of TBI in the older population, including the evidence on the link between brain injury and dementia. This session will highlight key points to consider when discussing rehabilitation in older people.
- ‘In-patient mental health programmes’ Dr Keith Jenkins – In this session, Dr Jenkins will discuss how neurobehavioural services, such as those at St Andrew’s Kemsley, support brain injury rehabilitation, how specialist services can be best used and the role of the Mental Capacity Act.
An early bird rate of £55 + VAT (£66) is available for all tickets booked before 13 May 2019. Tickets booked from 14 May will be available at the full rate of £100 + VAT (£120).
To book your place on the conference, please click here to download a copy of the conference programme and booking form. Please return this, along with your payment to events, asb aspire, Origin Two, 106 High Street, Crawley, RH10 1BF.
Alternatively, to pay by credit card, please click here to complete the online booking form.
For more information, please contact the event team on 01293 861214 or email email@example.com.
With thanks to the conference sponsors: The Children’s Trust, Frenkel Topping, Independent Living Solutions, 12 KBW, Devereux Chambers.